Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a Tesla 12/2223. When I enter the vin number (correctly) into TurboTax error message displays: Your Vehicle Identification Number is Invalid". What's wrong?

Purchased 12/2023
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I purchased a Tesla 12/2223. When I enter the vin number (correctly) into TurboTax error message displays: Your Vehicle Identification Number is Invalid". What's wrong?

The software forms needed to claim an electric vehicle...those forms won't be ready until mid-late February.   Until then, the Vin numbers and Model years allowed...they probably will not be updated in the software until the final Forms are posted.  GO thru that section again, starting every Friday in February, to see if it clears.

Yeah, it seems later this year than usual....but January is usually far too early for forms availability for the more complex credits.  In any case, don't try to file until that problem clears.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies