turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alycat22

What do I do if I already filed my 2020 taxes and claimed the recovery rebate, but then I received my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

What do I do if I already filed my 2020 taxes and claimed the recovery rebate, but then I received my stimulus check?

If you filed your tax return and indicated on it that you didn't receive your stimulus check but you actually had, you don't need to do anything. The IRS knows what payments they sent you, so they will adjust your tax return accordingly and reduce your refund if necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

30 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

At TurboTax, we are committed to helping you file an accurate tax return and get your maximum refund.  As a part of our continuing efforts to get your stimulus payment we noticed that you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit when you filed your 2020 tax return.

The Recovery Rebate Credit is the way people who were eligible for a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or received less than the amount they were due, claim their stimulus payment.  However, if you have already received the full amount of your stimulus payment and also claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return, this will trigger a review at the IRS that could delay the time it takes to process your return and for you to receive your tax refund.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to experience any delay in receiving your tax refund. Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you do not want to review and update your 2020 return, then you're all set.  No further action is required. We will securely hold your tax return and send it to the IRS when they begin accepting e-filed returns.

What do you mean by sending the email Feb 8th to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit? What do you mean without? As in we can resubmit but now no recovery rebate at all? 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

If you filed your tax return and indicated on it that you didn't receive your stimulus check but you actually had, you don't need to do anything. The IRS knows what payments they sent you, so they will adjust your tax return accordingly and reduce your refund if necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed my 2020 return indicating I did not get my $600.00 stimulus check.  After filing I got the check.  So I need to adjust my pending return to show I did receive stimulus check.   When I completed a form it says I will receive notification on 2-8-21 to adjust return.   Hopefully that is correct and TurboTax will make this happen.

Have a blessed day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

• So Frustrating! I completed the request to amend pending return on 2-5-21 and I was told I would receive email today to change my 2020 return which didn't happen.   Then I contact agent this evening and was told you cannot amend return until accepted or rejected by IRS.  Very disappointing that I get different answer every time I contact TurboTax. 
KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

That option was until Feb. 6th. 

There is MORE than a good chance that the IRS will adjust for the payment on your tax return. They offered that "Pull-back" to make it easier on them (the IRS) since taxpayers would fix what they (the IRS) otherwise will need to do. 

The only concern to you at this time is if the receipt of the stimulus will cause you to owe (more) tax. If that is the case, please make that additional tax payment by April 15th. (If it will just lower your refund, no worries) 

TBH218

Good morning, 

The  same thing has happened to me. 
should I cash The stimulus check? With expectations that the IRS will fix my return? Or should I keep It and wait for my taxes to come back to me? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

It is possible the IRS will process your return without rejecting it, in which case if you cash your stimulus check they will know and should automatically adjust your Rebate Recovery Credit, but it's impossible to know for sure at this point though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, if the IRS does not auto adjust my refund amount then I will not cash check.  That will avoid having to file amended return which has to be mailed.  

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

An amendment may not be necessary at all.  If for some reason you do need to amend, that amendment can now be e-filed. The information about what the IRS has sent you in stimulus money can be confirmed using the link shown next. This year has been packed with changes and the IRS is allowing some latitude trying to help everyone.  

• Get My Payment - Select the button Get My Payment to see if your information is current based on the payments you did receive. If so, then it's another confirmation the IRS will not release the funds a second time.

When your return does reach the IRS there are two potential possibilities.

1. The IRS will reject the return in which case you can correct it and immediately resubmit.
  2. The IRS accepts the return and automatically makes the adjustment.

It would seem they have a system already in place to make the necessary adjustments or an automatic reject if your return doesn't match their records.

I have been trying to get a hold of TurboTax since January 7 to do just this. I’m just now reading this three days after the note. Can you please tell me if this is still available. I filed January 7 received my second stimulus January 20 I need to fix my return before it is sent. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, it is too late to have your return reviewed.   The IRS will start processing returns on the 12th.  If you claimed the credit but received the stimulus payment after you filed, you may have to do an amendment.   If the IRS adjusts the payment, you won't have to do anything.   But if they don't and you receive the recovery rebate that you did not qualify for, it is only then that you will file the amendment.  

You will need to amend if either of the following are true - but you are not going to know until your tax return has been processed.  

• You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.     @emharrison2012

I filed everything correctly (dependent, income ect) I just received my second stimulus about 2 weeks after I signed the forms with Turbo Tax. It looks like the IRS Accepted my return last night and it is currently reviewing. I can see it on the IRS Website as well. I have a feeling I have been pulled as a test group before the 12th. It's in fates hands now. I am disappointed in turbo tax though.  I have been asking for weeks to be able to fix my return before it was sent to the IRS. 

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have the opportunity to correct the entries and calculations to generate the Rebate Recovery Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, we will see what approach the IRS takes in this situation.

I suspect that the IRS will scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Rebate Recovery Credit.  The IRS may be able to correct your tax return and your refund much like it corrects tax returns and refunds which misstate Federal withholding tax.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for further developments.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies