turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3rocheads

Made about 1000-1300 cutting grass for neighbors do i have to claim on my taxes and how ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
RebeccaT

Made about 1000-1300 cutting grass for neighbors do i have to claim on my taxes and how ?

The website has an article about determining "What is Earned Income".  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Taxes-101/What-Is-Taxable-Income-/INF15613.html

To decide how to report the income, please visit this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300312

BobB7

Yes, you are required to report the income. And you will owe some self employment tax.  Assuming your parents can claim you as a dependent, be sure you indicate that someone else can claim you when you prepare your return.
3rocheads

Thanks a lot
BobB7

You are welcome.  Be sure that you deduct expenses such as gas for the mower when determining how much of your income is taxable.
3rocheads

Oh I'm grown with a full time job and children
BobB7

Oh, I misunderstood.  Sorry.  So yes, you do need to report it is business income.
3rocheads

And she paid for the gas it was just one lady
3rocheads

Even though I don't have my own business
BobB7

Well, from an IRS perspective you have a lawn mowing business in addition to your full time job.  This will generate a Schedule C or C-EZ and a Schedule SE.
3rocheads

OK thank you very much

My dad is a landscaper and makes cash. Can he file taxes. He never received any of his stimulus checks 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, he should file his landscaper income as self employment. A document is not required and all income received for services must be included on his tax return.

He should have a record of his receipts, customers, etc., to show his business activity.  A separate bank account is very helpful and recommended to show both income and expenses related to the business.

Schedule C is supported in TurboTax Self-Employed (both online and in the mobile app) and in all personal 1040 versions of the TurboTax CD/Download software.

To set up your business:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
    • If you've already entered self-employment work and need to enter more, select Add another line of work.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

See the image for the selection of cash income. 

To record the stimulus section of the tax return use the steps below.

IRS Recovery Rebate Credit

• In TurboTax Online once your return is open, select Wages & Income (to enter the tax return).
  • Select Federal Review at the top of the page > Continue to answer the questions for Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount
  • TurboTax will then include any stimulus amount due on your 1040 form - either added to your refund or reduce the amount due.
  • See the image below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies