Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

somckeever
Returning Member

Was Form 8949 electronically submitted when TurboTax efiled my return?

After I efiled my return TurboTax presented me with a message that I must print out and mail Form 8453 to the IRS, with Form 8949 attached, but only if I elected "not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949".  When I look at the forms in my return I see a completed Form 8949.  Was this form filed with my electronic filing?  And if it was do I still need to mail Form 8453 to the IRS?   (And if form 8949 was electronically submitted with my efile, why was I not presented with the option to elect "not to report [my] transactions electronically" when inputting information off of my brokerage statement?)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Was Form 8949 electronically submitted when TurboTax efiled my return?

If you entered category totals for the transactions on your Form 1099-B then you need to mail Form 8483 with a copy of your 1099-B.  If you entered transactions one at a time, the you don't need to mail Form 8453.  If you only reported sales summaries that included only Box A or Box D sales, and which had no adjustments to gain/loss (e.g. wash sales), you do not need to mail a statement to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies