Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

USED IRS IP PIN tool to get IP PIN after filing taxes (taxes were accepted and I've already got a refund)

Hello,

So I e-filed my taxes earlier this year and they were accepted and I got a refund. I've recently had some identity theft issues (at the state level) and thought getting an IP PIN would be a nice safeguard for next tax season. I went through all of the hoops and got the pin only to find out the pin is for this years taxes. I would have waited if I had known that.

With that do I need to do anything about my taxes that have already been filed, accepted, and processed through the IRS? I'm assuming not unless I hear from the IRS as I got this pin after the fact do to me wanting to protect myself.

Thanks for the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

USED IRS IP PIN tool to get IP PIN after filing taxes (taxes were accepted and I've already got a refund)

FYI ... the current 2023  IP PIN you just got issued is to be used on any and all tax returns you file in 2023 AFTER that number has been issued.  

NEXT JANUARY (and every January after that) you will get a NEW 2024 IP PIN  to be used  on any and all tax returns filed in 2024.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Since you have already filed the 2022 tax return and received a refund there is no need to apply the IP PIN to a 2022 return.

In December 2023 or January 2024 the IRS will be sending you the 2023 IP PIN to be used on the 2023 tax return.

FYI ... the current 2023  IP PIN you just got issued is to be used on any and all tax returns you file in 2023 AFTER that number has been issued.  

NEXT JANUARY (and every January after that) you will get a NEW 2024 IP PIN  to be used  on any and all tax returns filed in 2024.  

Great, thanks so much for your reply! This is the information I was looking for; I assumed it was after I got the pin I just wanted to make sure since the IRS is not clear about these things.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies