Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TonyMayo

Used Direct Debit to pay federal taxes with TurboTax Home & Business 2022 Set debit for April 14 Funds still in account State refund arrived so account info is correct

I elected "Direct Debit" to pay my federal taxes when I completed my return with TurboTax Home & Business 2022 last month. I scheduled that debit for April 14, last Friday. The funds have NOT been taken from my account. My state refund arrived, so the account info is correct. What do I do to avoid a late payment penalty?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Used Direct Debit to pay federal taxes with TurboTax Home & Business 2022 Set debit for April 14 Funds still in account State refund arrived so account info is correct

Since your payment date for direct debit was entered of April 14 there will not be a late payment penalty.  During this time of year the IRS may take a few days after the scheduled date to actually debit the account.

TonyMayo

A week past the desired payment date and funds still have not been withdrawn. Soon I'll be chasing Intuit to pay my fine.

In the future you can tell the program you will mail in a payment  and then pay online directly to the feds or state to get instant confirmation of the payment ... now all you can do is wait while the IRS processes millions of payments that have been stacked up. 

If your return was accepted, then your payment information was sent.  Funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify in TurboTax, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS. If that date falls on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

If you file right before (or on) the busy April 18, 2023 deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline due to high e-filing volume. Additionally, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

Don't worry. As long as you file your return (or extension) on or before April 18, 2023, and you select April 18, 2023 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment.

If you still don't see the debit in your bank account 7–10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency.

You can double check your banking information was correct.  

To check banking information with Online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax. If you're already signed in, select Tax Home from the side menu
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select Show
  3. Select 2022, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area)
  4. In the left menu, select Tax Tools
  5. Underneath Tax Tools, select Print Center
  6. Then select Print, save or preview this year’s return
  7. Now check the 2022 Federal return box and select Include government and TurboTax worksheets
  8. Select View or print forms

TonyMayo

I filed on March 8. That same day, I received notice through TurboTax that my return was accepted. Early enough?

I set the payment to go out a few days early, Friday the 14th to avoid exactly this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies