Solved: Unsure if W-2s were filed on 2015 return

Unsure if W-2s were filed on 2015 return

I found some W-2 forms while cleaning that are from 2015, but I'm unsure if I filed them or not.  Is there a way to check if they've been filed, and if not - can I file them now or am I out of luck?

You can look at your 2015 return.   Or do you not know if you filed a 2015 return at all??

If you didn't print out//archive a copy of your 2015 return for your records (btw, which you should always do), and if you used Free Edition for 2015, you'd have to pay to unlock the return.  We can tell you how to do that. 

Or you can download a free 2015 tax return transcript at this IRS website:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact 

If you didn't prepare a 2015 return at all, you cannot file 2015 income with 2016 TurboTax.  You can prepare a 2015 return by purchasing the 2015 desktop software.  It cannot be efiled; it has to be printed, signed, and mailed.

If you DID file a 2015 return, but left out some W-2's, then you would need to prepare an amended return (Form 1040X) then print, sign, and mail it.

Yes I did file - I was just able to find the copy saved on my computer.  The total on the W-2 line is in the ball park of both forms, so I am assuming I filed them.  Thank you very much!

Don't forget to save those W-2 forms in a tax folder....don't toss them when you clean up.

The IRS can return to you and ask questions about your tax file ...sometimes a couple years after you originally filed.....and the software W-2 form is not an officially acceptable document for any later questions, only the original W-2.