turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to remove document from the Documents tab

I am using the desktop version of Turbo Tax and I logged in to my online account to get some receipts for my e-filing. I saw a Documents section that has my W2 that I am not sure how it got there since I use the desktop.

The only available option is Download. How to delete from there. Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

You might want to contact Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Thank you!

I contacted support and they were unable to help. I explained to them that ai never uploaded any documents but they insisted that I must have done it.

I will call them again as I was able to duplicate the issue. The documents gets uploaded yo their site if you are using the desktop version and you select upload the W2 from your computer vs importing from the provider.

That is a security concern in my opinion. If I am importing into the desktop, why would it upload it to their site, there is a reason I am using the desktop version. 

@ragaikaddiss   @tagteam    And anyone else:

Interesting.  I've never seen or noticed that section.

We're not talking about the "Documents" selection within an actual Online tax account...BUT...a separate section within the actual Intuit Account page.  Logging into your "Intuit Account" there is a Documents selection that shows a whole bunch of stuff....and no "Delete" selection if you don't want the stuff in there.

Problem for me is that I have a bunch of test "Online" tax files, for which I've never uploaded any files into the Online tax file "Documents" selection, but I have imported a bunch of tax forms into the both the actual Online and Desktop tax program files (as we all normally do each year)....so I have no idea which of these tax programs (Online or Desktop or both), that these files came from......but there they are.

So TTX does need to have a way to Delete these files from that directory if an individual doesn't want the file in there.  Especially for us "Desktop" users who trust our own on-computer storage over the "cloud".

Unless, for some reason they are inextricably linked to your active tax files in some strange way??  That would be just weird.

IntuitAccountDocs_1.png

IntuitAccountDocs_2.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain @tagteam 

That is correct. This is the exact section. 

I am questioning why importing documents to the desktop version would upload them to the Intuit Account document section? They said they have no way to delete it. I am considering deleting the entire account I have had for years at this point.

What is also surprising is if you upload document thru the online tax application, you are able to delete them and it organize them in folder based on the year you are selecting
Screenshot 2024-10-08 113206.png

@ragaikaddiss 

@ragaikaddiss wrote:

@SteamTrain @tagteam 

................ They said they have no way to delete it. I am considering deleting the entire account I have had for years at this point...........

Except that, with the recent changes in the way you verify your desktop copy (over the past few years)....I think you must have an Intuit account in order for the desktop software to work and be updated. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@tagteam 

Any chance you can get the other Champs and yourself to discuss this with the Moderators in the private discussion area?  

Kind-of hiding these files in the cloud, unbeknownst to the vast majority of users, just seems wrong.  Having a delete selection, seems critical.  Opt-out by default should also be SOP for the software.  (Yeah, my opinion)

Just got of the phone again with support and this time I was so lucky to get someone who saw this as a concern. We were on the call for over an hour. I was able to demonstrate how the import option uploads those document and deleting the imported documents from the desktop, does not delete in the online account. They now have an investigation case opened and will update as progress are made. Will keep you posted.

@SteamTrain @tagteam 

Unfortunately I got nothing from support. They sent me instructions that does not work. THey said I should have 3 dots next to it where I can delete it but nothing exists. I will call again on Monday but I am planing to delete all my data with them and start fresh next year. They said that when importing docs into the desktop version, I am prompted to sing to my online account which was not the case and I imported another document and was not asked to sign. I think they are afraid to admit that it is a glitch.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies