Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to e-file - Jan 30, 2024 - Initially told that the 1099-R is not supported by TT e-file

After being unable to file, yesterday, January 29, 2024 - (I am using TurboTax Deluxe on windows/PC). I called TurboTax (Intuit) and was told that the 1099-R form appeared to be 'unsupported' for e-filing by the software itself. After posting this information, I sent my return for examination by an online TurboTax support agent responding to my post and was told all was well with the file, and the problem was an unready IRS. Unfortunately, I took the advice as 'solid', and closed the post here. (That will not happen again anytime soon). I am unable to file yet today, on January 30th, 2024.

When I click the 'file electronically continue button" I immediately get an error of "Unable to e-file this return, you have 1 or more forms that require your return to be mailed in".

I am retired overseas, NO VPN was being used, the software says my simple (one 401K with a 1099-R, and Social Security with a SSA-1099 as only income with a foreign account of less than $10,000).  I am still unable to e-file - have anyone had similar issues? Is this about Intuit updates not yet available, or did someone drop the ball and "not support" the very common 1099 forms after misreading an IRS support Publication (1345) , and not supporting form 4852 as a work around? Reviews of the file in the software and by Intuit and every other aspect tells me all is well - I have used this product since 2008 or before, I am not a newbie... any suggestions? 

H&R Block imports from them, so if I need to within the week, despite being a customer since Intuit began - I will leave - I hope NOT to be a part of their potential bleeding problem of customers. When you drop the ball? Admit it. If don't have time to  do it right the first time? "When", do you find time to do it right the again?...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Unable to e-file - Jan 30, 2024 - Initially told that the 1099-R is not supported by TT e-file

I appear to be in the same situation, because that's the only reason in the list that makes sense to me on blocking my e-file when I tried this morning (30JAN2024).  I have the 1040-SR, Schedule 1 for the 1040, Schedule C, Form 8995, and the 1099-R forms you mentioned.  Those are my only forms.  I haven't been able to find the info online as to whether the forms are final yet, so was planning on talking to TT support when they open.  I've used TurboTax for a number of years and never run into this issue before either.

@galady There is a known issue right now with Schedule C --- we have been told they are working to resolve the problem as soon as possible.  Hang in there.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Sadly, because I feel sorry for you as well, this seems to reassure me that it is a matter of TT not properly coding and updating on time. I say this, rather than accepting their claim last evening that it was on the IRS, because it occurs immediately after I click the button to electronically file, suggesting that it does not allow 1 or more the forms I am using to be e-filed. I am overseas, and look at weeks and weeks before mail arrives in either direction, when before the Postmaster General began "improving" the USPS, it was only a matter of a week. If you find a solution, perhaps, if you remember to, would you pass it along? Much luck. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll try to keep an eye on updates.  I don't want to revert to the stone age of mailing in paper forms. 🙂

Hey there.... I went to the TurboTax facebook page and found a thread about the Schedule C issue.  That led me to a quick message with them where they have an open issue regarding e-filing.  They sent me this link to add my contact info to receive updates about the issue.  Here's the link if you would like to sign up:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/getting-return-contain...

Thank you again - Mine is the 1099-R that seems to be stopping me, unless it is another - they really dropped the ball this season.

I just downloaded the fixes in an update and file - Good luck to you.

Mine was a schedule D and 1099-R - the new update allowed me to e-File. Debating the H&R block software next you after 20 years with Intuit - The seemed to have gotten lazy.

If you do not have time to get it right the first time? When do you have the time?

norcia88

Did you ever get a fix for this?

Yes. The fixed the problem and I was able to file within 10 days after the post.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies