Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to e-file an amended 2021 return

I made a small mistake when filing my 1040 and need to correct an interest amount.  I e-filed using TurboTax Premier desktop edition and my submission has been accepted by the IRS (the IRS2GO app shows a status of Received Return).

Now when I attempt to amend my return in TurboTax (to submit at a later date) - I see a few messages pop-up:

1) When I go all the way and attempt to e-file, I get a message stating "It looks like you haven't e-filed the 1040 through TurboTax" - I clearly have and IRS has received my return. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

2) When I open the return I filed (without making any changed and look under the Electronic Filing History section, I can see the Federal and State filing history - a message stating that "Your return has been received and will be forwarded to the taxing agency at the appropriate time" is present along with a few messages stating that "The Intuit Electronic Filing Center did not find any record with this SSN or EIN".  I am filing with a foreign address - perhaps this is causing the issue.

3) When I attempt to check the status of my e-filing using the Intuit phone number, I am asked to input my SSN and a 5 digit zip code. Given that I have a foreign zip code (longer than 5 digits), the check errors out.  Thankfully the IRS2GO app works well for me. This may be related to the e-filing issue...

Anyone else encountering a similar problem? Any thoughts on how to get past this error as I do not wish to mail in a paper submission...

Many thanks for your advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Any advice on my above request?

Thanks.

reellyliang
Returning Member

I have experienced the same issue.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If your return has been accepted by the IRS, then you will need to wait until you have received your refund or taxes due paid, then you can go here for instructions on amending your return.  

These are all generic responses - provided with out really reading the full problem description.

I had another thread open as well and it got no where (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/incorrect-e-filing-status/00/2630759/message-id/9...) - just gave up and am now waiting to see if Intuit will fix what could be a simple problem.

In my case, I e-filed my taxes using TurboTax and have received my refund and the status within the TurboTax file still says "It looks like you haven't e-filed the 1040 through TurboTax".  This ought to be very easy to replicate on the Intuit side (just use a tax file with a 6 digit zip code to test).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies