Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Filing Status Default Issue

The IRS has not finished processing my return. The software though I select the correct options to be considered Head of Household with 1 qualifying dependent. The application defaulted to "SINGLE" .   

I need to amend my return but the IRS has accepted my return but to date has not processed it. The transcripts for 2020 reflect N/A.

I filed 1040X f0r the 2019.  I thought the 2020 had the correct filing status but it replaced with SINGLE the HOH I had placed.

If my taxes are "ACCEPTED" since 2/11/21 not "APPROVED" and the return on WMR states "Your return is still processing, a refund date will be supplied once available"  Can I still file a 1040X on 2020 although the return has not finished and still processing now for  7 weeks.

Apparently, there are other early filers in the ERS dept. due to issues with the software not being updated that were sent as a test batch / early filers.

I need my stimulus for 2020 and the Recovery Rebate and I will not get any until they process my return & amend.   What can I do?   This was the software's fault. :(

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure why your status is listed as single as opposed to head of household (HOH.) But it may be because of how you answered the questions in TurboTax. You should wait until your return is processed and you have your refund before you submit an amended return, or it may delay the processing of your original and amended return.

You may still qualify for a stimulus check for you and your dependent if you file as single, so I don't think that would hold up your stimulus check. You should have received it since you filed a tax return for 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The software changes it back to SINGLE. It does not allow me to pick HOH when I pick "OTHER" since Sister In Law is not on the list.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I see, you needed to pick the "sister" option even though your dependent is your sister-in-law. The problem is an "other" dependent does not normally qualify for head of household (HOH) filing status, so that is why the program does not allow you HOH filing status when you select the "other" status.

If you look at the screen in TurboTax that say Who Do You Support? there is a caption that says in-laws highlighted in blue that instructs you to choose "sister" in place of "other" in the case of a sister-in-law.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies