Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conelou

How do I get a 1040X thru Turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

You want to file a 1040X or get a copy of one you prepared using TT?
Carl
Level 15

TurboTax does not provide blank forms. You work through the program the way it's designed and intended to be used. Then when done, the program will generate the forms necessary based on the data you entered and selections you made. If you need to file an amended return then you do not do so until "AFTER" your originally filed and accepted return as been accepted and processed by the IRS. Processing is not complete until "AFTER" you have received your refund.
So do you need to amend a return? If so, as your original return been accepted *and* processed by the IRS?

Yes

Want to file an amended return for 2018 taxes. I have already received the refund.
Carl
Level 15

Last I heard, the IRS has not yet released the *ELECTRONIC* version of the 1040-X. Until they do, TurboTax can not include it in the program. We have to wait.

I received an email from Turbo Tax stating the form was available. Clicked on link, but couldn't find it.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a tax return that you filed with TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Don't file the amended return until your first return has been accepted and you have received the original refund.

Samuel7
Returning Member

I need to correct my first stimulus amount i entered $1200 in stead of $2400

file a 1040x

want to fill 1040x for 2018 and 2019

@robert kruse wrote:

want to fill 1040x for 2018 and 2019

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

brhoward2

I want to file a 1040X

MayaD
Expert Alumni

To file Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies