turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax assumes state refund is taxable. I cannot get it to ask again for 2017 return info after saying I did not have my 2017 return.

When entering my 1099-G info for my state tax refund, I clicked the box saying that I do not have my 2017 tax return, so just assume that my entire state tax refund is taxable. Now, I found my 2017 return and want to enter the information, but Turbotax will no longer ask that question when I go through the state tax menu. I even tried deleting the information from my 1099-G and starting fresh, but it still won't ask me. How can I get TurboTax to ask me the questions to see if my state tax refund is taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax assumes state refund is taxable. I cannot get it to ask again for 2017 return info after saying I did not have my 2017 return.

Try this.

On the "State and Local Tax Refund Summary" screen, don't click the Edit button. Just click Done.

The next screen asks if you took the standard deduction or itemized deductions in 2017. If you took the standard deduction, your refund is not taxable. Just select "I took the standard deduction" and click Continue.

If you itemized deductions in 2017, select that option, answer the question about whether anyone claimed you as a dependent, and click Continue. The next screen should ask whether you have a copy of your 2017 tax return.

If you don't get that question at this point, what screen do you get when you click Continue on the screen that asked whether you took the standard deduction or itemized deductions in 2017? What is the title or heading on the screen, and what does it say?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

IMPORTANT - Before you try what I suggested above, make sure your TurboTax software is up to date. On the Online menu, select Check for Updates.

That worked. Thank you so much for your help!

Use  EDIT/UPDATE and CONTINUE to revisit the questions.

Thank you for responding. That was the first thing I tried. It goes through the first two screens (enter numbers and check whether a few circumstances apply), but it skips the third screen asking for the 2017 tax return info and just goes back to the summary screen.

then you have to delete the 1099-G and enter. again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies