Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax said I need to file an amended return, program said I do not!

Hello, I received an mail from TT that said, "Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, you have overstated your allowed deductions allocable to investment income, leading to an understatement of Net Investment Income. As a result, you have underpaid your federal income tax." I just followed the instructions TT gave me (2018 Form 8960 deductions) exactly - I opened TT 2018, ensured everything (program and forms) got updated, opened my return, went through the steps (it said it was an automatic fix for Federal only), yet TT said "There were no changes to your return are you sure you need to file an amended return?" Is its possible this email did not apply to me? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

There should be a contact number on the email ... call them for more instructions.  It may be that you were not affected  OR more likely,  you should not have updated the program (which would have corrected the return) before starting the amendment process.  

If there wasn't a phone in the email...there are contact instructions and a special phone number at the bottom of this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/2018-form-8960-deductions/01/843674

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies