turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fireflyer

When does TurboTaxOnline shut down for 2016 tax year? I haven't finished my return. I have 3 years to file if getting a tax refund. Will it still work next week?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Carl
Level 15

When does TurboTaxOnline shut down for 2016 tax year? I haven't finished my return. I have 3 years to file if getting a tax refund. Will it still work next week?

TTX online shuts down for the 2016 tax filing season on Oct 16 at midnight pacific time. So don't bother with it. Since you have to use the CD/Desktop version to file a prior year's return anyway, you might as well go ahead and purchase the desktop version for 2016 too. I assume you already know to file the oldest tax return first, and that you should mail each tax return in a physically separate envelope to the IRS.

fireflyer

Thank you.  It is the date in 2017 (for my 2016 tax return) that I was seeking.  You answered it... Thank you.

I don't see how TurboTax can turn off e-File on Monday since if your e-Filing is rejected on Monday IRS allows you  five days to correct the error and resubmit.
Carl
Level 15

Well, they do. Based on last year's experience, if you have e-filed by midnight Monday, you're good. If it's rejected, then you have 5 days to resubmit. But you can't submit a new e-file after Monday.

@fanfare
These are the latest dates and times TurboTax posted for SuperUsers to use concerning end of filing season:

October 16, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM local time to the customer- The final deadline to E-file your return for this tax year and be considered “on time” (assuming you filed an extension).

October 17, 2017 at 10 AM PST– New Users and Not Started (not complete?) will see a desktop pre-order focused homepage, with a message about TTO being available in Dec. and an opportunity to create a TTO account.

October 22, 2017 at 3 AM PST- Last day to fix rejected returns and not incur additional penalties or interest (again assuming an extension was filed and accepted)

October 26, 2017 at 3 AM PST– E-file servers are shut down for the year for personal returns. No exceptions!

October 26, 2017 at 3 PM PST- Customers will no longer be able to sign into TurboTax Online itself, but still can access their MyTurboTax.

I understand no new e-Filing. In order to gain the extra days you must submit a return that is certain to be rejected on
 the deadline.
fireflyer

Thankyou epo39b, that is perfectly comprehensive!

You're welcome.  You may wish to download a backup copy of your *.tax2016 data file for your return-in-progress before midnight on Monday, just in case.
Here's how:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899645-how-do-i-save-my-2016-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data...>

NOTE:  Remember all tax data files and PDF tax documents are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies