Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT notice; florida return cannot be filed electronically

Ready to e-file federal return and TT states I cannot?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is no income tax for state of Florida, so there is no return to be filed. Please see below.

NOTE: If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can go to File tab, go through screens and on the Select the Returns You're Ready to E-file screen, choose Do not e-file my state return now and then proceed to e-file your federal. 

If you are using TurboTax Online version, go here How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? for steps to delete the state return; if you haven't paid or registered it yet. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

There is no income tax for state of Florida, so there is no return to be filed. Please see below.

NOTE: If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can go to File tab, go through screens and on the Select the Returns You're Ready to E-file screen, choose Do not e-file my state return now and then proceed to e-file your federal. 

If you are using TurboTax Online version, go here How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? for steps to delete the state return; if you haven't paid or registered it yet. 

Why am I unable to e-file Florida federal tax in Turbotax?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Florida does not require you to file a state income tax return. You can file a federal return as a Florida resident, but there is no state return for Florida residents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand that Florida has no state taxes but why am I unable to e-file my federal taxes?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

To clarify your question, are you receiving an error message when trying to e-file? Is there a problem with a needs review message? What are you seeing when you try to e-file?

@carlenecar 

"The following return cannot be filed electronically: Florida return

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

@AndreaC1's post shown above, gives a great explanation of what to do.  Take any reference to the Florida State Tax return out of your return, and you will be able to E-file your federal taxes.  As stated several times earlier, you do not have to file a Florida tax return because there is not an income tax in Florida.

If this does not completely answer your question, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

@carlenecar 

I never referenced Florida state tax. I only mentioned Massachusetts Non-Resident state taxes. I think I figured out a way around the issue. I had to file them separately at different times.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies