Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to Amend my 2020 return but not getting charged the automated amount the system is requesting back that it thinks i recieved??!!?

hello i am currently amending taxes for 2020 taxes to be accepted by the irs, however the system assumes that i have gotten the previous amount on my original taxes. Which I have not. There was a couple of questions and answers in a similar forum, adressing this kind of situation. One answer , explained that an amended return shouldnt be followed through with on the system if the original was not finished processing, for the sake that the system requests the money back from (me) or said taxpayer of the difference in the amendment. However, the irs representative said that the amend needs to happen first as they will not be finalizing the first return and remain keeping the refund on hold until the refund is amended...what should I do in this regard? Is this something anyone knows a specific answer, with turbo tax's automated adjustment?

Thank You!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Trying to Amend my 2020 return but not getting charged the automated amount the system is requesting back that it thinks i recieved??!!?

If you need to change an amount on line 18 then your options are : 

use the downloaded TT version and make the correction in the FORMS mode 

OR  paper file and make the correction manually before you put it in the envelope

OR  just efile the amended return as is  and let the IRS  make the correction for you since they will know the correct amount for line 18. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies