turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To have direct deposit does my name need to be on the account?

Does your name have to be on the account for direct deposit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobinB

While there are no IRS rules that specifically forbid you from depositing your refund into someone else's account, we don't recommend it.

Why not? Because most banks have fraud-prevention measures that won't allow a direct deposit into an account bearing a different name.

If you decide to enter someone else's account information anyway, chances are the bank will reject the IRS's direct-deposit request because the name on the refund (yours) doesn't match the account holder's.

The IRS will then have to re-process the refund, cut a check, and send it by mail. You will (eventually) get your refund, but it'll take longer than it would have taken had you requested a check refund in the first place.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobinB

While there are no IRS rules that specifically forbid you from depositing your refund into someone else's account, we don't recommend it.

Why not? Because most banks have fraud-prevention measures that won't allow a direct deposit into an account bearing a different name.

If you decide to enter someone else's account information anyway, chances are the bank will reject the IRS's direct-deposit request because the name on the refund (yours) doesn't match the account holder's.

The IRS will then have to re-process the refund, cut a check, and send it by mail. You will (eventually) get your refund, but it'll take longer than it would have taken had you requested a check refund in the first place.

@londonsky2016 It looks like you were trying to post a question, but your post is blank.  Do you have a question about using someone else's account?  (That is the topic of this thread..)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901159-can-i-deposit-my-tax-refund-into-someone-else-s-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies