turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending a filling that was previously amended (not with turbotax). Do I have to start with the original amounts prior to amending the first time?

This filing was not filed with turbo tax the first time, so i have to input all of the data into the software.  Do I use the amount that the filing was amended to or do I have to use the original amounts from the filing prior to the amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amending a filling that was previously amended (not with turbotax). Do I have to start with the original amounts prior to amending the first time?

To amend an amended return you MUST start with the amounts from the AMENDED return NOT the original return.

Using the TT program to amend a return not prepared on TT will not be easy. First you must enter the info from the first amended return and only when you have the return looking exactly like the first 1040X  can you even start the second amendment.  I high suggest you use the same method employed the first time if possible. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

To amend an amended return you MUST start with the amounts from the AMENDED return NOT the original return.

Using the TT program to amend a return not prepared on TT will not be easy. First you must enter the info from the first amended return and only when you have the return looking exactly like the first 1040X  can you even start the second amendment.  I high suggest you use the same method employed the first time if possible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies