turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need tax transcripts for 2015 and 2016

Does Turbotax provide this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Transcripts of federal tax returns can be obtained from the IRS for free - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you used the TurboTax online edition for the 2015 and 2016 tax returns you can get copies of the returns from your online account.  If you used the Free online edition for both the 2015 and 2016 returns then you are going to need to upgrade the 2016 account to the Plus edition and pay for the upgrade before you can access the 2015 online tax return, assuming that you used the exact same user ID for the 2015 account as you used to create the 2016 account.

To get a copy of the 2016 return - 

When you sign onto to your online account using the exact same user ID you used to create, complete and file the 2016 tax return you will land on the Welcome Home screen.  Click on the blue link - Download/print return.

Or when you land on the Welcome Home screen click on My TurboTax at the top left of the program screen.  This will take you to the 2016 Timeline.  Under the section Some things you can do:  Click on either Download/print return (PDF) or Download all forms and worksheets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you filed your 2016 return using the TurboTax online Free edition -

When you sign onto your online account and are on the Welcome Home screen, click on My TurboTax at the top of the screen.  When you are on your 2016 tax timeline, under the section for SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO, click on Add a state (you will not be actually adding a state).  This will get you into your 2016 online tax return that you filed.

Click Upgrade, located near the top of your screen.  In the pop-up window, scroll down to the bottom, select TurboTax Plus, and click the Upgrade Now button.  (Note - if the Plus edition is grayed out then you are already using the Plus edition and you just need to pay for the Plus edition)

To pay for the upgrade so you can access your prior year tax returns, assuming that you signed onto your 2016 account with the exact same user ID you used for the prior returns -

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, click on My Account at the top of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return. (Note - DO NOT click on Print or view a prior year return) On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now.  On the next screen just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

This service will be unavailable from approximately 8 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday, May 27, 2017, until approximately 7 a.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, May 30, 2017, due to planned maintenance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies