dhenderson1209

The wrong bank information was put on my return..I owe an offset. How can I get the balance of my refund mailed to me?

AndreaC1

If the banking information is invalid, the bank will reject your refund deposit and send it back to the IRS. The IRS then has to reprocess, cut a check and mail it to the address on your return. That can take some additional time for receiving your refund. The government usually only sends the balance after the offset is intercepted.

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS's system yet, you can try calling and ask them if they can stop the direct deposit before it goes to that account, and mail a check instead. You can call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

Per IRS: "Refunds that are not direct deposited because of institutional refusal, erroneous account or routing transit numbers, closed accounts, bank mergers or any other reason are issued as paper checks, resulting in refund delays of up to ten weeks." More details can be found here Refund Returns

AndreaC1