turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a CP05 notice from the IRS

so i got this the other day and i'm like what? i understand the first two but whats tax credit claims? social security benefits withholdings and household help claim and schedule c income claims? i never claim any of that

The CP05 notice means that the IRS is holding your refund until they review and verify the following information from your return:

Your reported income
    Tax withholding amounts
    Tax credits claims
    Social Security benefits withholdings
    Household help claims
    Schedule C income claims

i do the same every year and this is the first time i gotten this type of notice so i'm assuming this is an error on their part cause no where on my form does it say i'm claiming these things. do i wait for them to finish their made up review excuses or should i call? i do this online and pick the fastest and easiest options so i don't have to deal with any of this just put what i made that year and my dependents and i'm done everything else is no or next next next i never click on yes or claim nothing else.

or does this site efile does it themselves? cause if it wasn't me its either this site that i use or irs are full of shit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

The Tax credits claims they put on the list can include any of the following: dependents, dependent care, additional child tax credit, earned an income tax credit. If you have any of these on your returns, that is what they can be reviewing. They will also be able to tell you an estimated time they should be finished and when they might release any refund coming to you. 

If you are unsure, please call the IRS and have them explain to you what they are reviewing your return for and why. The good news is that generally, most taxpayers who have this one year do not have to deal with this again.

Unfortunately, this is totally random and there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

they audit me last year for the additional child tax and earned income credit as well and its still being reviewed, i'm suppose to get a response from them by April 19 so i'll just have to wait to see whats going on thanks for the info.

@dude69fail did you receive you refund? So is this got your 2017 tax that your waiting on

yes i got the refund for this year i'm still waiting for the other one, which they mail me saying they been busy with alot of audits this year so i gotta wait another month

@dude69fail oh ok i just had to amend my return
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies