turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed the wrong w-2 form. I filed my 2015 for this year was looking at wrong w-2. How can I stop my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

I filed the wrong w-2 form. I filed my 2015 for this year was looking at wrong w-2. How can I stop my refund?

The Status of your return will determine whether or not you can make changes.

Your return will be in one of the following statuses:

Pending – Your e-file return is on its way and the IRS hasn’t accepted or rejected it yet.  If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

Accepted - The IRS has received your e-filed tax return.  If you're getting a refund, the next step is for the government to approve your refund before they can release it to you.

Rejected – The IRS has sent the return back to you for correction.

Depending on the status of your return, here is what you can do:

• If your return is Pending, you need to wait until the government either accepts or rejects your return.
  • If your return is Rejected, you will be able to correct or add information and then refile.
  • If your return is Accepted and you need to make corrections or add information, you will need to file an amendment on Form 1040X.

NOTE:  During IRS processing, the IRS will match returns to forms submitted by employers or others.  If anything is missing or incorrect, the IRS will often adjust the tax return to reflect the missing or incorrect item and finish processing the return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaR

The Status of your return will determine whether or not you can make changes.

Your return will be in one of the following statuses:

Pending – Your e-file return is on its way and the IRS hasn’t accepted or rejected it yet.  If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

Accepted - The IRS has received your e-filed tax return.  If you're getting a refund, the next step is for the government to approve your refund before they can release it to you.

Rejected – The IRS has sent the return back to you for correction.

Depending on the status of your return, here is what you can do:

• If your return is Pending, you need to wait until the government either accepts or rejects your return.
  • If your return is Rejected, you will be able to correct or add information and then refile.
  • If your return is Accepted and you need to make corrections or add information, you will need to file an amendment on Form 1040X.

NOTE:  During IRS processing, the IRS will match returns to forms submitted by employers or others.  If anything is missing or incorrect, the IRS will often adjust the tax return to reflect the missing or incorrect item and finish processing the return.

robynd99

It says processing is delayed
PatriciaR

At this point, the IRS will either need to reject because the W2s do not match up and you will need to amend. Or if they accept, they may correct your information using the correct W2 information.
Manage cookies