Solved: The software e-filed my federal return again when I e-filed my NY state return. How to cancel that or amend it??

wuqian12

The software e-filed my federal return again when I e-filed my NY state return. How to cancel that or amend it??

I first prepared the MFJ federal return and submitted the E-file earlier today using the Premier Download software, and it got accepted after half an hour. Since my husband and I lived in different states last year, so I prepared my own NY state e-file in the software (using the mock-federal method from the FAQ: I changed my status to MFS and removed the income and deduction amounts that come from my spouse). HOWEVER, after I reviewed everything and submitted only the NY state return successfully, I found that the printout records show that I filed my federal tax again together with my NY state return! Of course the refund amount is different from my previous filed MFJ amount. 

This is so odd and confusing!!! I remember when I was reviewing my NY state return in the final steps, it recognized and showed me that my federal return was already transmitted, how would I know that it would be filed again with my state tax??

I'm so confused and not sure if my return would be rejected.

Anita01

The new Federal return would be rejected because one was already filed using your Social security number.

Anita01

wuqian12

Oh that would be great, hope it won't affect my NY state return.
Anita01

It's unlikely for the  state to be accepted by e-file without the Federal; being accepted.  You will likely have to file the state on paper.  It's ok to do that because the fact that the state can't be e-filed without the federal provides an exception to the need to e-file in NY.