turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Raj9

I got letter 4883c. I was on Visa in USA. I left USA for good. Please let me know how to handle this situation ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I got letter 4883c. I was on Visa in USA. I left USA for good. Please let me know how to handle this situation ?

The IRS simply wants to make sure it was you that filed your 2018 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-4883c-letter

There is a phone number listed in the above link.  I would call the phone number and provide the IRS with the information they need to confirm your identity.

Please note if you left the US before December 31, 2018 and used TurboTax, you must include your worldwide income for calendar year 2018.  If you earned foreign income after leaving the US, you can use foreign tax credit to help offset any double taxation.  If you did not declare your worldwide income for the entire year, you need to amend your return.
Raj9

I am neither US citizen nor Permanent resident. So, should I still declare world wide income if I left US in the middle of financial year ?
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

The information I provided is for any taxpayer that moves out of the US . US citizens and green card holders have to file a full year resident US return no matter where they live. TurboTax is only for full year resident returns.  US residents filing a full year resident return must include their worldwide income.  If you filed in TurboTax and did not include your worldwide income, you will need to amend your return.  Please see Publication 519 page 9 on last year of residency.  You can either use December 31, 2018 as your ending date  or you have to file a dual status return (part year resident and part year nonresident).  Please see page 33 for the restrictions for dual status taxpayers.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf</a>
Raj9

Thank you Karen for all your help.
last 2 questions.
Should the amendment be done before April 15th or can it be done later ?
Can Turbotax be used for filing amendment now? or should I look for other CPA.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies