turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jahzyoung

I'm 17 and doing taxes, I was wondering if i get all of my federal and state taxed money back or not.

I talked to a jackson hewitt employee and she told me that I should be getting all of my federal and state taxes because I'm not 18 yet. I'm at the filing stage of my taxes and it doesn't appear to be giving me back all of the withholdings. I was wondering if it was possible to get all of the withholdings back but if not then i'll just finish filing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm 17 and doing taxes, I was wondering if i get all of my federal and state taxed money back or not.

That was a false statement that you should be getting all of my federal and state taxes because you're not 18 yet. It has nothing to do with age. It's all about the amount of income. If you have less than $6300* of W-2 income, you will get all your box 2 withholding back. You will not get any social security or medicare  (boxes 4 & 6) back. If you have more than $6300 or have income other than W-2, you may not get it all back.

You haven't identified your state; so the amount could be different for state taxes, but no state (that I know of) has an age rule either. Just finish your returns. It will be what it will be. If something doesn't look right; ask a specific follow up question.

*$6300 assumes you are claimed as a dependent by your parents; it's $10,350 otherwise.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

That was a false statement that you should be getting all of my federal and state taxes because you're not 18 yet. It has nothing to do with age. It's all about the amount of income. If you have less than $6300* of W-2 income, you will get all your box 2 withholding back. You will not get any social security or medicare  (boxes 4 & 6) back. If you have more than $6300 or have income other than W-2, you may not get it all back.

You haven't identified your state; so the amount could be different for state taxes, but no state (that I know of) has an age rule either. Just finish your returns. It will be what it will be. If something doesn't look right; ask a specific follow up question.

*$6300 assumes you are claimed as a dependent by your parents; it's $10,350 otherwise.

jahzyoung

Thanks! I had no clue, it's the first time I'm doing my taxes. It did sound a little too good to be true
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies