Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adryylee

I gave the wrong routing number for my tax return. I gave them the wire routing number by mistake. Its telling me it was deposit into my bank account which it was not.

what do I do? Will I still get my tax return? and how? The IRS is difficult to get ahold of.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
EdwardL

I gave the wrong routing number for my tax return. I gave them the wire routing number by mistake. Its telling me it was deposit into my bank account which it was not.

If the bank rejects the transaction they will send it back to the IRS. At that time, the IRS will send you a paper check instead. The entire process can take six to eight weeks. I have taken the liberty to include the below information that outlines the steps to change your bank account information for your reference. 

If you have filed the return, please review the below information.

If you e-filed, wait until your return is accepted or rejected by government.

• If your return is rejected, correct the account information (along with anything else that needs to be corrected for e-filing) and then re-submit your return.
    • To correct your bank information, simply open your return in TurboTax, click File, and walk through the screens again.
  • On the other hand, if your return has already been accepted (or you already mailed it), the IRS will send you a check refund instead.

What if the account information I entered is valid, but for somebody else's account?

The good news is that most banks have systems in place that prevents checks from being deposited into accounts bearing a different name.

Even so, it would be good idea to call the IRS at 800-829-1040 as soon as you realize your mistake. Also notify your state tax agency if you're getting your state refund direct-deposited.

So I decided to help someone out since I was scared on what would happen with my refund! I put the wrong routing number so I filed Jan 31,2018 and it was suppose to go in on Feb 22, but I waited because it said on the check my refund status website to wait till Feb27 so I did. I called the bank and they verified and the refund went back to the IRS. You can call the following number to check if everything is good at 1800682745 and the extension it will ask for is 733 and I pretty much waited about 15mins and I was told to expect my refund April6,2018 through mail. Hope it helps someone!

You're missing a number
kmmbarron

That number doesn’t work. Have you still not received your paper check? I’ve gotten multiple different answers from people who ya e experienced this. Some people it takes weeks and some people just 10 days. I cannot get ahold of an actual person at the IRS.

SO sorry I just realized I put the number wrong I instead of 1800 it’s 1866 and they sent the paper check on March 9 and I got it today March 13 hope it helps! 🙂

Just Incase the number 18666827451 ext 755
kmmbarron

Thank you!! Mine is supposed to be mailed out 3/20. Hoping it is before then!

Did you all have to wait for a letter before receiving your paper check?  because I was rejected on the 28th and still haven't received a paper check....
kmmbarron

No ma’am. Atleast I haven’t yet. I finally got ahold of someone from the IRS and they said that they’d be mailing me a check.

Have you received your check yet??...i received a letter today no information needed just wait
kmmbarron

Yes! Here’s the timeline for me. Supposed to DD on 3/8. On 3/13 Wheres My Refund updated and said they would send a check to me by the 20th. The check was mailed out on the 20th and I received it on the 24th!

Damn that was quick my ddd was Feb 28th and still no update about my check...did you have code 1121?
Awing

Did you ever figure it out?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Awing, this thread is from last year so any information will not help you for the current year. 

It is best to follow EdwardL 's advice above if you are looking for a refund and you entered the wrong account information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies