Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

babysumo

I accidentally e-filed my Federal Tax return twice with an incorrect number on the second filing. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I accidentally e-filed my Federal Tax return twice with an incorrect number on the second filing. What can I do?

Your second return will be rejected, you cannot e-file the same return twice.  You also cannot make changes to a return that has been filed. Since your first return was accepted to make any changes you would need to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.

You need to put your first return back to the way it was when you filed. Then go through the amendment interview to make changes.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return has been fully processed before you amend.

How do I Amend (Change or Correct) a 2015 Return with TurboTax?

View solution in original post

12 Replies

If the second filing has an incorrect SS# then the return will be rejected.

What happened with the first filing?  was it rejected?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
babysumo

Both filings were identical except for the amount of my interest income (Schedule B).  Both were filed today about 90 minutes apart.  I got an email confirmation of acceptance for the first (correct) filing.  I'm still waiting to hear about the second (incorrect) filing.

The second one didn't go though.  You can only efile 1 return.  If it says accepted again that is still just for the first efile.
babysumo

Thanks for the info.  Aloha

Your second return will be rejected, you cannot e-file the same return twice.  You also cannot make changes to a return that has been filed. Since your first return was accepted to make any changes you would need to amend your return.  Amended returns must be mailed.

You need to put your first return back to the way it was when you filed. Then go through the amendment interview to make changes.  The IRS suggests you wait until your original return has been fully processed before you amend.

How do I Amend (Change or Correct) a 2015 Return with TurboTax?
PDare

I'm assuming I e-filed twice as I have two identical returns deposited into my bank accounts! Do you think one will be returned or do I have to do something?! 

Hello, shalom:  I filed twice not knowing that the first one was accepted.  I paid turbo tax to help with my taxes will I get the money back since my second filing was rejected?

No, as far as I know.

If IRS rejected my e-file and said that I filed early on, "will turbo tax get notice and not process my debit card for the fee of helping me with my taxes?"

Steve541

Hello, I e-filed my 2020 return but was rejected...i tried to go back in my my computer crashed, lost everything...several days later i had to go back in to turbo tax as all information was lost and recreate it again, i efiled again, and this time it was accepted.  not sure if there is something in need to do at this point, i have only received 1 accept for both Fed and State return.  Not sure which efile the accept is for, the first efile or the 2nd, how can i determine that?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Steve541 

You can't e-file more than once using the same SSN. The second one will be rejected as a duplicate SSN.

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to check your e-file status, as this is something we will not know. You will also receive an email advising you of the return being accepted or rejected. If you opted in for text messages, you will receive that also. 

How do I check my e-file status?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies