Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gl4dos

The Wisconsin tax refund that was deposited to my bank account was about half of what TurboTax reported to the IRS. Why could this be and what can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

The Wisconsin tax refund that was deposited to my bank account was about half of what TurboTax reported to the IRS. Why could this be and what can I do?

You might have a government refund offset. A refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt. 

You can contact the agency with which you have a debt to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset at 800-304-3107.

The Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Through the TOP program, BFS may reduce your refund (overpayment) and offset it to pay:

• Past-due child support;
  • Federal agency non-tax debts;
  • State income tax obligations; or
  • Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (Generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that were not paid).

You'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service if your refund is offset. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual; an offset shouldn't delay it, unless of course your entire refund was applied to your debt.

More info about refund offsets, including contact info and the appeals process, is at IRS.gov (Tax Topic 203).

You can also call the IRS. Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 800-829-1040 
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
gl4dos

I have no debt and received no unemployment recently.
HelenaC

You might have a government refund offset. A refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt. 

You can contact the agency with which you have a debt to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset at 800-304-3107.

The Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Through the TOP program, BFS may reduce your refund (overpayment) and offset it to pay:

• Past-due child support;
  • Federal agency non-tax debts;
  • State income tax obligations; or
  • Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (Generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that were not paid).

You'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service if your refund is offset. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual; an offset shouldn't delay it, unless of course your entire refund was applied to your debt.

More info about refund offsets, including contact info and the appeals process, is at IRS.gov (Tax Topic 203).

You can also call the IRS. Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 800-829-1040 
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

gl4dos

Thanks, although I am debt free and have not received unemployment recently.
If the IRS changed the amount is there a way to ask them what happened?
HelenaC

You can call the IRS. Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 800-829-1040
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies