turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received 2 SSA-1099 forms but only entered 1 when I filed my 2016 Tax Return. Tax due is still zero after correcting. Do I need to file an amended return form 1040x?

Adding the additional amount from the 2nd SSA-1099 form does not change tax due, which is still zero.  The only change on Form 1040A is Social Security Benefits (line 14a).  Taxable Social Security (line 14b) is still zero.  Amount of Tax Owed (Line 50) is still zero.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I received 2 SSA-1099 forms but only entered 1 when I filed my 2016 Tax Return. Tax due is still zero after correcting. Do I need to file an amended return form 1040x?

No, you are not required to file an amendment if the change does not affect your federal or state tax liability.  You can go ahead and file the amendment anyway, to avoid possible questions from the government about the missing SSA-1099. For the cost of a postage stamp, it's better to be safe than sorry.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

No, you are not required to file an amendment if the change does not affect your federal or state tax liability.  You can go ahead and file the amendment anyway, to avoid possible questions from the government about the missing SSA-1099. For the cost of a postage stamp, it's better to be safe than sorry.  

Thank you for such a quick response - TurboTax support is awesome!

I do not understand
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies