Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxes due payment never cleared

I e-filed my Federal return and mailed a check for the amount due on 3/16/24.  I also mailed my NC State return with a check included for the amount due also on 3/16/24.   On 3/17/24 I mailed in the same drop box outside the post office my daughter's NC State return with a check for what she owed.   Her check cleared in about 1 1/2 weeks.  Both my Federal and State checks have not cleared in almost a month.  I did not mail any of them certified or with delivery confirmation.  Do I assume they are lost in the mail and should I e-file my state return and make my federal and state payments online and put a stop payment on the checks?  Should I continue to wait?  How can I verify if the state received my return?  What if I e-file and make online payments and the mailed copies eventually show up?

thanks for any feedback

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can call the NC Dept of Revenue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Your daughter may have had a simple return, and yours will take longer to process.

I don't recommend doing anything additional until you try these two steps.

You can check the status of your tax return.  You will need:

• Social Security Number.
  • Tax return year.
  • Hilling Status.
  • Exact refund amount

1) Please click here to enter your information         Check Your Refund .

2) If you wish to contact the IRS, you can call toll-free at 800-829-1040 or contact a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office.

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

Trying to check the status of my tax return I put in $0 on refund amount since I am not getting a refund but owe money to the IRS.  I tried entering in the amount I owe but in both cases I get an error saying the data entered does not match.  I know my federal return was accepted by the IRS because I received confirmation shortly after I e-filed.  Also, how can I check the status of my NC state return?  I thought the federal and state would cash my checks as soon as they received them and not wait until my returns were processed.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Once your return is filed, TurboTax has no control over the processing of your return or the release of your refund.

Here are a couple FAQs to track your refund:
When will I get my federal tax refund?
How do I track my state refund?
Why does Where's My Refund say "approved" but TurboTax still says "accepted"?

You can check that your return was received by the taxing authority  using these instructions: Check the Electronic Postmark of your Return. Pay close attention to the separate lines for Federal and State. They are separate statuses.

l did not e-file my NC state return.  I mailed it in without using any delivery guarantee.  How can I verify if they received it?  Is there a number I can call?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can call the NC Dept of Revenue. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies