Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Majflight

Tax Return Rejected

I filed my elderly parents return using TurboTax in 2020.  My father passed away in March of 2021 and when I filed this year the IRS rejected the return because they could not identify my father's AGI.  The returns were all filed jointly and I got a transcript from the IRS  and the AGI from 2020 matches that on the transcript.  What do I do?  They did not question my mother's AGI which was the same as my father's since they filed jointly.  Turbo Tax says I should enter my father's AGI from 2020 but I did and still got rejected.  This has been quite frustrating. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Tax Return Rejected

It's possible that your Dad's SSN is locked, so that the IRS cannot verify his AGI. You will have to file by mail.  You're filing a Joint return for them for 2021, right?

Majflight

Tax Return Rejected

I think that you're correct and appreciate the help in getting an answer to my question.  I filed by email today.

sharonsmith1987
Returning Member

Tax Return Rejected

@Majflight hello...my return has been rejected multiple times for a couple of weeks, no matter what I do with the AGI. I've messaged 4 times now and called but no answers. Automated texts reassure me they will help but I've done everything they suggested and it still isnt working. I'm thinking I might have to file by mail myself...do you know if turbotax still takes what we were supposed to pay if they helped us file our taxes? I'm also supposed to get free file but they say my return isnt simple...the only thing I had to add was interest and jury duty. I'm frustrated!

Tax Return Rejected

Unfortunately interest and jury duty don’t qualify for free return since other schedules are required. 

sharonsmith1987
Returning Member

Tax Return Rejected

One of them I was told to put with the rest of my income on the same form. Jury duty I didnt have an actual w2 for but still reported it. If it needed another form, I would only end up needing what, one line to add that pay in?? For these two small things I'm being charged a few hundred and IRS says I am eligible for a free return. Nobody answers my messages or calls. People are giving false information. I followed the "try 0" for AGI, tried "1" and was told to just lie and say I didnt fill out a return last year or something so the system lets it go through and the IRS wont care. Doesnt sound professional at all!! And isnt this what turbotax is having to pay this settlement they were just sued for? For lying and making people pay for a return that should have been a simple return??

Tax Return Rejected

@sharonsmith1987 - TT charges for certain types of tax returns; when those things occur, the tax return is not free.  

HOWEVER, you can always use the IRS 'free file' which is free, and not use TT 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies