turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax return filed incorrectly resulting in an almost $6,000 charge from the IRS

I have used TurboTax for file my taxes for many years, however my 2021 tax return was wildly inaccurate and I ended up getting a fine for almost $6,000 from the IRS.

Is there any compensation for me given that I paid $147 for TurboTax Deluxe service and it was incorrect and cost me greatly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If there was a TurboTax calculation error that caused you to pay penalties and interest you can submit a claim for those charges.  Taxes owed by the taxpayer will not be covered.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for submitting a Accuracy Guarantee claim - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/submit-claim-turb...

Do you know what they changed on your return?  Did you leave out some income or report the withholding wrong on line 25a or b?  Sometimes if you enter income on the wrong line the IRS will miss it and say you didn't report it.  

(Disclaimer: It's probably my fault for being and idiot when it comes to numbers honestly). From what I can see it looks like the income I made was also listed as tips/deductions withheld. So, I ended up getting a tax return for that entire income amount listed. I was just wondering how that was able to go through with the TurboTax software? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies