Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax refund deposit into false or fake account

My tax refund was deposited into job related account and I didn't receive it but TurboTax and the IRS says that I have and I haven't. So, I'm wondering what happens or what do I need to do to receive my tax refund? I cannot talk to anyone at the IRS about my problem because they don't talk to people anymore 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Answer:

If you lost your refund check, you should initiate a refund trace:

Your claim for a missing refund is processed one of two ways:

• If the check wasn't cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.
  • If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions for completing the claim package. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete.

Is it possible to find out if my federal tax refund check was cashed?

Answer:

Yes, if you need to know whether your federal tax refund check was cashed, you can initiate a refund trace by using one of the following methods:

If you're trying to obtain a photocopy of your refund check because of a dispute over the proceeds, call us and speak to a representative to request assistance.

By law, the IRS can't disclose any information to you about someone else’s refund. For example, the IRS can't discuss a check issued to another taxpayer with you unless you have obtained authorization. If you submit a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative or a Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization for a person, we may provide information to you for that person’s refund.

If you lost your refund check, see I lost my refund check. How do I get a new one?

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries#:~:text=If%20you%20lost%20your%20refund,ass...).

What is a job related account?  Do you know where it went?  Were you having the fees deducted from your refund?  It might have gone to the 3rd party bank to take the fees out.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies