turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax refund and interest

Hi:

Filed our taxes and return accepted on May 12, 2021 for 2020.  Received refund today; except the refund was $2.62 higher than amount on return.

I checked IRS transcript, and IRS computed tax = TT computed tax.

So, why the extra $2.62?

Does IRS pay interest on refund if after April 15?  

I always thought, and could be wrong, that no interest is paid if filed within due date, even if due changed by IRS.  Perhaps that is wrong and interest is paid for all refunds claimed after April 15?

Thank you

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Tax refund and interest

I also received interest in the same situation. Not sure why the IRS is doing this, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Tax refund and interest

Better make a note for next year's tax return.  If it is interest it will be taxable.  

Tax refund and interest

It's very odd....here's a quote from 26 U.S. Code Section 6611(e)

(e) Disallowance of interest on certain overpayments

(1) Refunds within 45 days after return is filed

If any overpayment of tax imposed by this title is refunded within 45 days after the last day prescribed for filing the return of such tax (determined without regard to any extension of time for filing the return) or, in the case of a return filed after such last date, is refunded within 45 days after the date the return is filed, no interest shall be allowed under subsection (a) on such overpayment.

Like I said before, odd and no difference on transcript between return tax and IRS computer tax.  Such a small odd amount must be interest...unless due to some change in policy relating to the COVID bills????

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

Tax refund and interest

Good point, but not going to worry too much about $2.62   🤔

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies