Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extender Amended 2018 Return

Hello,

Just received the email that the 2018 TurboTax version was updated with the information for the Tax Extenders.  I opened up TurboTax hit amend and it populated with a new refund number. Is it really that easy? I know I have to print, sign and mail the return myself but is TurboTax really that good? While it is an amended return I didn't physically change anything because the info was loaded already when I filed.

Anything I should look out for? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The software update changed the calculations applied to the information you had already entered into TurboTax, and prepared a Form 1040X amended tax return for the difference in the tax calculation.

Unless you have other changes to make to your 2018 tax return, you are ready to print and mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That’s what mine did as well. It seemed a little too easy. The original 1040 had changed as well , and my amended 1040x refund was the difference between that original and amended.  Any thing else to look out for ? 

Where did you download the extender software, can you provide the download link here ?

Did you remove your original 2018 turbotax  program to install the extender or you installed on top of the original program ?

@student11 wrote:

Where did you download the extender software, can you provide the download link here ?

Did you remove your original 2018 turbotax  program to install the extender or you installed on top of the original program ?

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-returnIf you have the 2018 software installed the  simply update it to the latest version.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for the reply. I know the amended return can only be paper filed, but my question is where I can download the updated software ?

See the link I posted above that tells you.

Again, if you purchased the 2018 CD/download version than you do not need any new software, just apply the latest update to the software that you already have.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies