turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already filed even though I just added another W2 how do I refile so I get everything correct

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have already filed even though I just added another W2 how do I refile so I get everything correct

STOP !  UNDO ANY CHANGES YOU MADE SINCE YOU EFILED ASAP !!!

You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  

Changing any information in the online account after you have filed your original tax return does not amend your return. If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return

An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return. The amended return form 1040X will not be available until mid February so come back after the IRS has sent you the original refund. 

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return orginally completed using TurboTax -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

SherekaB

You will need to wait and see if your return is Accepted or Rejected. If the return is accepted by the IRS then you will need to amend your return to make this correction. The IRS does not begin accepting returns until January 23, 2017.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies