Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus payment to wrong account after using TurboTax stimulus portal

I used the stimulus registration product on April 3rd and entered my bank account info. The IRS still used my 2018 tax return direct deposit info. That was to a closed account. Why? It seems that your portal is not working as intended and now I'm in a real hassle without that money. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

The stimulus registration portal was only to be used by people who did not have a requirement to file a tax return.  It was not intended for people who file returns.

It appears you had filed a return in 2018 and as such, the IRS used the most recent information from your latest tax return filed.

Since the account listed in your 2018 return is closed, your payment would be rejected and the IRS will issue your payment to the address they have on file. 

Please see the following link for more information as it relates to issues with bank account information from the IRS.

IRS Stimulus payment information updates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not have a requirement to file a tax return. I did not work at all in 2019. So therefore I was fully qualified to use that portal. Thanks.  

Who should use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info to provide additional information to receive the Economic Impact Payment?

Eligible U.S. citizens or permanent residents who:

• Had gross income that did not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples) for 2019
  • Were not otherwise required to file a federal income tax return for 2019, and didn't plan to

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies