Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar credit and refund delays?

Has anyone who took a solar credit gotten their refund before 21 days? I filed 2/9 and it was accepted 2/10. My tracker has not updated since then and is still stuck on “accepted.”

I have called the IRS a few times and finally got ahold of someone who said there was an “error processing application” and that it could now take up to 10 weeks from acceptance (April 20). 

In doing a quick google search, I am finding some other people who also took the solar credit and are finding that their refunds have not come yet either. Could this be the common denominator?? I’m so frustrated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

132 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Once your return is filed, TurboTax has no control over the processing of your return or the release of your refund.

Here are a couple FAQs to track your refund:
When will I get my federal tax refund?
How do I track my state refund?
Why does Where's My Refund say "approved" but TurboTax still says "accepted"?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I was not implying that TurboTax had any control over it. I was asking if anyone else was in a similar boat and got the same message from the IRS.

I was wondering the same thing. We filed 02/12. We have always gotten our refund in under 21 days. We got our state in 3 days. Nothing from Federal. 

Sorry to hear about your delay! We got state in about a week so I feel your frustration. 

I am in the exact same situation. Accepted on 2/12. Status is stuck on Accepted. Says they are still processing my return. I also think it has to do with the Solar credit

It's literally the only thing that is different for me this year, so I'm thinking it has to be!

Same here. After about 18 days in “accepted”, the IRS website just says “delayed processing beyond the normal time frame.” Still sitting there. The good news is that I’ve read that after 45 days, the IRS actually owes you interest on your refund. I think it currently sits at 7%.

Really?? I guess that’s incentive to get the refunds out then!

@PC_224 

The Internal Revenue Service generally pays interest on refunds that are delayed by more than 45 days after the filing deadline, according to its website.

Which means 45 days after 4/15 not from when you filed. 

From the IRS : 

When does the IRS pay Interest?

Stop and Start Dates for Overpayment Interest

In general, we pay interest on the amount you overpay starting from the later of the:

• Tax return filing due date
  • Late filed tax return received date
  • Date we get your return in a format we can process
  • Date the payment was made

We stop paying interest on overpayments on the date we refund your overpayment (and interest) or offset it to an outstanding liability.

Exception: We have administrative time (typically 45 days) to issue your refund without paying interest on it.

How to Dispute Insufficient Interest Paid

If you think we underpaid interest owed to you on refunds or credits you're eligible for, you can file an informal claim or complete and send Form 843PDF for us to consider allowing additional overpayment interest. Make sure to include your own computation and reason for making the request for additional interest on Line 7 (see Instructions for Form 843).

Your request must be received within six years of the date of the scheduled overpayment.

Ah ok. But at least at some point that clock starts and we get some compensation (in the form of interest) for the delay.

I have the same problem.  Accepted 2/10 and tracker has not moved. I claimed the solar credit  as well.

I have the same issue. But last year no issue. This year there is a delay with my carryover credit. I'm so frustrated but it does help reading I am not the only one. I wish it would have been a little more transparent about the delay topic when addressing energy credits. 

Yes, I can't find much information anywhere!

FWIW, my stuff just got approved. It was right at 21 days from file to approval. Hopefully everyone else’s will come through soon too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies