Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reiko47

How can i re-file with turbo tax after my husband's death in 2015?

i was told i had to file with an accountant for 2 years after husband died january 2015, so i did that. now i still have state of calif retirement and social security benefits paid directly to me each month and would like to resume filing with turbo tax intuit once i get my 1099's or w2 - whichever way they send me my info.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Who said you had to file with an accountant for 2 years?  That is not true.  You can still file a Joint return for 2 years after your spouse died if you have a child.  He died in Jan 2015?  Then for 2015 you could still file a Joint return.  Did you file Joint last year?

Decedent returns has issues efiling when using a self prepared program so the poster used a paid preparer instead.  It may have not been necessary but it is done now.

Since you had an accountant prepare your two prior year returns, make sure that you were provided, at least for the past year of 2015 a complete set of documents showing all carryforward amounts, such as any capital loss carryforwards, and possible credits such as unused Foreign Tax credit and similar, and any prior year overpayments that you did not take as refunds but instead carried forward.  You will have to manually enter these when you once again are using TurboTax because there is no other way for the program to know of these factors.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

There is nothing special to filing as a Single Person ... just choose your program and follow the interview. You should start with a new user ID and password since you have been gone for 2 tax years.

Typical advice to a surviving spouse who does self-preparation of returns:  In order to ensure acceptance of Form 1310, simply file a printed and mailed return - in and of itself, the filing need not require a professional preparer.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies