turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lynn5
Returning Member

Should I amend my 2016 tax return?

In my 2016 Tax return, I inputted inaccurate word in “Recharacterization Explanation” section (instead of “conversion”, I used “recharacterization” ) of my non-deductible IRA contribution in line 15a of 1040. Please let me know if need to amend my 2016 return. Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, you should not amend your 2016 return.  From the description you have provided, it appears you are saying that your actual tax return is correct from a calculation perspective.  Thus, there is no reason for you to amend your return as there are no tax changes to your return.  If the IRS did notice the discrepancy in your explanation and they wanted to follow-up on it, they would send you a notice and you could simply respond to the notice correcting your explanation.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, you should not amend your 2016 return.  From the description you have provided, it appears you are saying that your actual tax return is correct from a calculation perspective.  Thus, there is no reason for you to amend your return as there are no tax changes to your return.  If the IRS did notice the discrepancy in your explanation and they wanted to follow-up on it, they would send you a notice and you could simply respond to the notice correcting your explanation.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies