Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shoresos

My 23 y-o dependent daughter already filed her taxes and did not state that she is a dependent on our tax return. Can she change her filing after she's already filed?

She qualifies as a dependent but she already filed without stating that. Can that be changed on her return?

thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 23 y-o dependent daughter already filed her taxes and did not state that she is a dependent on our tax return. Can she change her filing after she's already filed?

She would have to file a federal amended tax return, Form 1040X, to change her dependency status.  In TurboTax she would change that status in the Personal Info section for her name.  See screenshot

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2016 return (desktop or online editions) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

An amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

You can file your tax return with her as a dependent but you will not be able to e-file since a tax return claiming her personal exemption has already been accepted by the IRS.  Your return will have to be printed and mailed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

She would have to file a federal amended tax return, Form 1040X, to change her dependency status.  In TurboTax she would change that status in the Personal Info section for her name.  See screenshot

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2016 return (desktop or online editions) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax

An amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

You can file your tax return with her as a dependent but you will not be able to e-file since a tax return claiming her personal exemption has already been accepted by the IRS.  Your return will have to be printed and mailed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies