Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SBTPG = SHADY

The IRS sent my refund to my bank for direct deposit on February 9. I waited until February 14, and the bank had no record of it, so I visited the IRS branch near me. My refund went to Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, according to the very helpful IRS agent. She said she'd be happy to do a trace, but it would take 90 days and show the same result - that my refund went to SBTPG, the agency Turbo Tax uses to remove funds.

Before anyone puts this back on me: my routing number and account number were correct. I triple-checked it.

You cannot get SBTPG on the phone. I was on hold for two hours yesterday. I've submitted three email requests to them at no avail. I also contacted my tax attorney/CPA, who I should have used in the first place; my taxes were simple this year, so I stupidly did them myself.

I called Turbo Tax yesterday and spoke to Brittany H, who was very helpful. The poor woman was with me for an hour until she transferred me to Sabrina, a supervisor, who was possibly the rudest woman I have ever spoken to on the phone. She barked SBTPG's number to me several times (the one where you can't get anyone on the phone) and then, when I asked for HER supervisor, she hung up on me. I'm not even kidding.

My tax attorney told me to wait another few weeks for SBTPG before I give him power of attorney to pursue this. I will happily lose a good chunk of my refund to pursue litigation against SBTPG because this is the shadiest thing I've ever seen. I'm a public schoolteacher and it is incomprehensible to me that someone would tie up my money like this for their own gain. But this is America and I am very naive.

I hope someone reads this and decides not to have fees taken out of their refund to pay Turbo Tax. I will never, ever use this service again. I just want my tax return. It's my money and I taught children in person for two years during a pandemic to get it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

SBTPG = SHADY

In this public forum, we do not have access to any information regarding refund processing. It would be necessary to try contacting TPG again for additional information. You can also check out this TPG Help Article to check on your refund again.

@Sunflower Cat

SBTPG = SHADY

I understand that, but surely you understand that it's impossible to get in touch with SBTPG in any capacity and that Turbo Tax's association with this group makes them shady by default as well. It's unconscionable business practice on your part, as is the continual passing-of-the-buck and faulting the consumer. Really unethical and disappointing. 

SBTPG = SHADY

Same here!!! I am so fed up. I am turning them into the IRS for fraudulently keeping my refund. They have had it since the beginning of March and I continue to get different dates. First it was 03/02, 03/03, now the automated system is saying it was mailed today. I am so fed up I have bills I need to pay. I don’t just have money like that to just let them play with my refund. I just feel helpless because we are at their mercy this isn’t right. I am considering taking it to the news so everyone knows what crooks they are. I have all the emails with them changing up dates and then I recorded the automated system today when I called. I have been hung up on by live agents twice today and have been told a supervisor would call me and still I have heard nothing. This is the worst company ever. 

SBTPG = SHADY

In the future ... if you can use one of the IRS FREE FILE options then DO IT ... for 2021 if your AGI was 73K or less there was 8 free file options to choose from.   https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Then if you cannot use one of the free file options and you must use a paid program NEVER use the refund processing option to have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund.  Instead pay the fees upfront with a credit card or your bank account debit card  or any number of easily gotten pre paid debit cards you can buy at most stores for $5 and load with enough to cover the TT fees.  

SBTPG = SHADY

I will 100% be doing this next year and forever going forward this has definitely traumatized me this year. I know that may sound dramatic but it has really been awful knowing I need to pay these bills and having money that I cannot access. I have literally made myself sick thinking about it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies