Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Question, Should I amend?

Hello, my question is a bit long because I want to give background info

I decided to file early this year through TurboTax, I filed on 1/7/2022. The reason I filed early is because the HR person at both my wife and I's places of employment gave us the W2 information, supposedly, and after the horror stories from last year, I wanted to get it in as quickly as possible, because you know, first come, first serve, right?

Long story short, my return was accepted 1/18, which I assumed was test batch. I thought maybe we'd get through pretty fast. I was wrong. I have seen absolutely ZERO movement from the IRS. I'm currently on day 39 since being accepted and my return still hasn't even processed yet. Since 1/18, my transcript has been N/A and I've watched my status go from "your return is being processed" to "your return has been delayed" to "your return is still being processed" to "your return is still being processed without the tax topic."

I called the IRS on 2/16 and was told that I was selected for ID Verify and that a letter was mailed on 2/14 (I still haven't received the letter) I was able to ID Verify online on 2/17. I've tried about 30 times a day since then to call the IRS to verify that they had received the ID Verification, but haven't been able to get through to anyone.

This morning, the "as of" date on my account transcript went from 2/28 to 3/14 and when I checked it again at noon, it have reverted to 2/28. I haven't been able to get in touch with a tax advocate yet, but have actually been contacted back by my state Senator's office which has vowed to help me. I don't really want to take that route though.

After all of this, I noticed that two of the three W2's I filed had different EIN's and that one of them was roughly $215 off.

Should I wait for my return to finally process or should I go ahead and amend the return now with the correct information? I need my refund ASAP, but I'm wondering if there's a chance that the IRS will fix those issues and that's what's taking so long, or if those issues are what's holding up the IRS in the first place?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/do-i-need-to-amend/00/27607

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when to amend.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/do-i-need-to-amend/00/27607

Thank you.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies