Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return amount claimed for excess social security tax was reduced on refund? Not sure why?

I worked at several companies paying into social security tax and over paid in 2021.  W2s show this which is automatically entered in Turbo Tax.    I paid over 13K, overpaying by +4K.  They reduced my refund down to 2K.  Any thoughts on this.   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Return amount claimed for excess social security tax was reduced on refund? Not sure why?

???  Same Person's posts ?  (but the suggested actions would be the same....just trying to keep all in one place)

Maximum Social Security Tax payment for joint ? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

9 Replies

That usually only happens when you are married and you both have W2s but you entered them under one spouse's name so it looked like that person went over the max.

So your W2 box 4 is over 13,000?  Do all the W2s have different EIN on them?   Are you sure it is due to the excess SS? They have been reducing a lot of returns for the Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 or the Child Tax Credit on line 28.  How much did they reduce your refund?  From what to what?

All (3) W2s are to my name only (13K in SS Tax Total).  Not my wife's name.   Yes we did file jointly so I don't get it.   It specifically stated Social Security Tax calculations were wrong, not child tax credit.  Also this is automatically calculated by Turbo Tax not something I calculate.  Really bizarre.    

Did you key in the W-2 forms yourself?  If so, any chance that you made an error in the Social Security Wages  (box 3)?  If so, that would cause a miscalculation of the Soc Sec tax. 

2021 Form W-2 (irs.gov)

@HeavyDee - check the EIN numbers of each W-2 that you entered in TT (look in TT, not the W-2 itself)

... if there is a duplicate, THAT is why you have this dilemma.  if there is an overpayment of SS tax due to the employer not stopping at the max (which is what it looks like if there are duplicate EIN's), the IRS expects the EMPLOYER and not the IRS to get you back the additiojnal SS money.

is that what occured? 

???  Same Person's posts ?  (but the suggested actions would be the same....just trying to keep all in one place)

Maximum Social Security Tax payment for joint ? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

No, I double checked W2s amount keyed in.  It's correct.  

I have (3) separate companies that I paid Social Security Tax.  6.2%  so if you add it all up +13K I paid.   We file jointly as I have W2s and wife is schedule C business.  I am calling to get clarification on letter received and why the deductions.  

Thank you, IRS agreed they made an error.   They requested I send a letter in with backup documentation, attached W2s etc...

Let us know what you find out.  Hope it works out.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies