Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Requesting Guidance on Filing Extension Form 4868 and Reporting Additional Income (Amended)

I recently filed Form 4868 to request an extension for my tax return. However, I've encountered a situation where my spouse received additional 1099-INT  & 1099-B forms after the extension filing deadline, and we now need to include this income in our tax return.

Could you please advise me on the best course of action in this scenario? Specifically, I'd like to know if it's possible to file a new Form 4868 to update our extension and pay the additional taxes owed based on the newly received forms.

Any guidance or instructions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Requesting Guidance on Filing Extension Form 4868 and Reporting Additional Income (Amended)

Yes. You just need to make another payment.  You can print/mail the voucher and payment or simply go online to IRS.gov and "Make a payment" using a card or banking information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Once you have filed an extension you do not need to file another one. You can however make an additional payment.

An extension extends your time to file, not your time to pay, so if you know additional tax is going to be required, it is best to pay that now to avoid additional interest.

I'm confused about the amendment question though. If you haven't already filed, hence the need for an extension, why are you wanting to amend? You will simply add the new documents to your unfiled return prior to filing.

@CatinaT1  thanks for your prompt reply...

It was my error in using the wrong term "Amended" since that does not apply for the F4868 form.

So i just need to file a 1040-V payment form, right...??? with a appropriate payment amount..?

Best

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes. You just need to make another payment.  You can print/mail the voucher and payment or simply go online to IRS.gov and "Make a payment" using a card or banking information.

If you are late to Tax Day and will owe you should pay as soon as possible.

go to IRS Make a Payment page where no voucher is needed.

You can still select EXTENSION - 2023 but for how long? 

Otherwise,

select Balance Due.

@magellan0 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Direct link to IRS payments page - Make a Payment to the IRS.  

Note; as of 2023, TurboTax does not support the 1040 line for Balance Due paid before filing.

That would be Sched 2 Line 13z.

I don't know if that's been fixed.

@magellan0 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies