Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lawrencevilleva
Returning Member

Rejected return

I e-filed a return for someone who is in prison. I filed through TurboTax so he was able to get the rebate for his first 2 stimulus checks that he did not recieve. He filed a 1044 from prison in October of 2020 and recieved the third stimulus. The returned I filed through TurboTax was rejected because his ss# had already been used. Does that mean he didn't have to file again after filing the1044 in October? Does the IRS use that same form he filled for his first 2 checks he didn't receive? And am I going to be in trouble for filing his taxes that were rejected? I'm really concerned!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Rejected return

You will have to file a 2020 income tax return to get the missing first and second stimulus payments. If the IRS says the Social Security number was used, you will have to file by mail.

That's another good reason to file. If there's possible identity fraud, you'll want to get a correct return in with the IRS to prevent future problems. If this person's identity was used, it could become a big issue once they get out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lawrencevilleva
Returning Member

Rejected return

This is not answering questions. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Rejected return

If his SSN was already used, then a return was already filed using that SSN. Your friend should call the IRS identity theft department at 1-800-908-4490.

You will not be in trouble for filing a rejected tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies