Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected return from 2019, is it too late to fix it?

When I did my return last year I was rejected due to not having an IP PIN, I never received the letter with my pin and I was unable to get it online so I could do nothing about it. This year I was able to receive my IP PIN from the IRS. Would it be possible for me to use this years IP PIN for my rejected 2019 return? and how would I go about re-filing a rejected 2019 return this late?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ Dre_V wrote:

When I did my return last year I was rejected due to not having an IP PIN, I never received the letter with my pin and I was unable to get it online so I could do nothing about it. This year I was able to receive my IP PIN from the IRS. Would it be possible for me to use this years IP PIN for my rejected 2019 return? and how would I go about re-filing a rejected 2019 return this late?

Yes, you can use your new 2021 IP PIN, but you can't efile the 2019 return.   I'll tell you how to file it below.

If you received an IP PIN this year, that new 2021 IP PIN is to be used for all returns filed in calendar year 2021--no matter whether it is a 2020 return, a 2019 return, or whatever.   So, yes,  you can use your new 2021 IP PIN to file your 2019 return.  But the 2019 return cannot be efiled; it has to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.

Since you couldn't get your IP PIN last year,  you "could" have still mailed the return last year without the IP PIN, and it would still eventually have processed, but it would have just taken considerably longer (especially with the Coronavirus pandemic), and the IRS might have contacted you for some verification.

Did you use Online TurboTax last year?   If so, you should be able to download your 2019 return PDF.  If so, when you review it, is the only thing that needs correcting the addition of the new IP PIN?    If so, you can write the new 6-digit IP PIN in the IP PIN section of the 2019 paper return.  There's a designated spot located in the Signature section of the Form 1040.    Don't forget to also sign and date the return.

If you need to correct something else on the 2019 return, you can only do so with 2019 desktop software.   If you already paid for a 2019 online return, TurboTax Support should furnish you the software.   But, as I said, if all it lacks is the new IP PIN, then you can write that in at the proper designated spot in the Signature section.  Don't forget to sign and date the return.

Don't attach any worksheets or extra summary pages that might print out.  Basically, you send the Form 1040 plus any forms and schedules that have an attachment sequence in the top right corner.   And you should attach a copy of any W-2 and any W-2C,  and any W-2G or 1099-R that has withholding.   See the following:

IRS Instructions for a mailed 2019 return (source 2019 Form 1040 Instructions) :

"Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040 or 1040-SR in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper-right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. File your return, schedules, and other attachments on standard size paper. Cutting the paper may cause problems in processing your return. Don’t attach correspondence or other items unless required to do so.

Attach Forms W-2 and 2439 (uncommon--if applicable) to Form 1040 or 1040-SR. If you received a Form W-2c (a corrected Form W-2), attach your original Forms W-2 and any Forms W-2c. Attach Forms W-2G and 1099-R to Form 1040 or 1040-SR if tax was withheld."

Here's where to get the IRS mailing address based on the state you live in.  The address to use depends on whether a payment is enclosed or not, so choose from the proper address column.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

It's best to mail by a method that has tracking, such as Certified or Priority Mail.  If you have both Federal and state returns, mail them separately to the respective tax agency.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@ Dre_V wrote:

Yes, you can use your new 2021 IP PIN, but you can't efile the 2019 return.   I'll tell you how to file it below.

If you received an IP PIN this year, that new 2021 IP PIN is to be used for all returns filed in calendar year 2021--no matter whether it is a 2020 return, a 2019 return, or whatever.   So, yes,  you can use your new 2021 IP PIN to file your 2019 return.  But the 2019 return cannot be efiled; it has to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.

Since you couldn't get your IP PIN last year,  you "could" have still mailed the return last year without the IP PIN, and it would still eventually have processed, but it would have just taken considerably longer (especially with the Coronavirus pandemic), and the IRS might have contacted you for some verification.

Did you use Online TurboTax last year?   If so, you should be able to download your 2019 return PDF.  If so, when you review it, is the only thing that needs correcting the addition of the new IP PIN?    If so, you can write the new 6-digit IP PIN in the IP PIN section of the 2019 paper return.  There's a designated spot located in the Signature section of the Form 1040.    Don't forget to also sign and date the return.

If you need to correct something else on the 2019 return, you can only do so with 2019 desktop software.   If you already paid for a 2019 online return, TurboTax Support should furnish you the software.   But, as I said, if all it lacks is the new IP PIN, then you can write that in at the proper designated spot in the Signature section.  Don't forget to sign and date the return.

Don't attach any worksheets or extra summary pages that might print out.  Basically, you send the Form 1040 plus any forms and schedules that have an attachment sequence in the top right corner.   And you should attach a copy of any W-2 and any W-2C,  and any W-2G or 1099-R that has withholding.   See the following:

IRS Instructions for a mailed 2019 return (source 2019 Form 1040 Instructions) :

"Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040 or 1040-SR in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper-right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. File your return, schedules, and other attachments on standard size paper. Cutting the paper may cause problems in processing your return. Don’t attach correspondence or other items unless required to do so.

Attach Forms W-2 and 2439 (uncommon--if applicable) to Form 1040 or 1040-SR. If you received a Form W-2c (a corrected Form W-2), attach your original Forms W-2 and any Forms W-2c. Attach Forms W-2G and 1099-R to Form 1040 or 1040-SR if tax was withheld."

Here's where to get the IRS mailing address based on the state you live in.  The address to use depends on whether a payment is enclosed or not, so choose from the proper address column.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

It's best to mail by a method that has tracking, such as Certified or Priority Mail.  If you have both Federal and state returns, mail them separately to the respective tax agency.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies