turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reject

On March 11th 2024 My wife pass away I put that information in I put all the income, deductions..etc..  Turbo Tax check the federal and state returns foe errors and found none I e filed and sent them However I got reject notice stating to put in my late wife AGI She just received Social Security Disability only I went to the 2022 return and put in the AGI and resent the return the return got rejected again wanting my wife's AGI  I know I put the right amount in How can I get this corrected so I can get my 2023 taxes filed ?

Daniel R M

[email address removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Reject

Since the IRS is rejecting the 2022 AGI you entered, enter a 0 (zero) for her AGI and e-file again.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Reject

First, let's clarify if your wife passed in 2024 or 2023.

If March 11, 2024 (just this month) do not file a final return for her until next year. 

If she passed in March 2023, file the same way as you normally would had she not passed. If that means Married Filing Jointly, file Married Filing Jointly. Indicate in the "Personal Info" section that she passed in 2023 and enter the date. List you and your late wife the same way you have in years past. If you are usually listed first, keep it that way. If she was listed first, keep it that way. Enter the AGI from the Joint 2022 return. 

If she passed in March 2024, file your 2023 tax year return as if she had not passed, since that did not happen until 2024. 

Again, file the same way you normally would.  

If you are filing a separate return for your wife, are you doing this because you always filed separately or because you think you should since she passed? 

Did she pass in 2023 or 2024 and which year are you filing her final return?

Sorry for your loss. 

@bluetopaz89

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reject

I went back and changed the information on my wife Because she lived the whole 2023 year and put in 2022 AGI I still got rejected with code IND 031-04 I check the AGI the 2022 AGI 41,406 and the 5 digit code 72731 and both are correct Still says having an issues identifying Tamara R M. (spouse) I dont know what else to do or just print and send them in 

Daniel R M.

[email address removed]

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Reject

A couple of items to check before trying to refile.   

1.  Be sure you are filing the same this year as last year.  For example, if on the 2022 return you were the primary taxpayer (listed first on the return) and your spouse is second, then the 2023 return should be the same.  In the "My Info" section edit the personal information and make the order match the 2022 return.  

2.  Still in "My Info" Edit your spouse's personal information.  There is a question asking if your spouse passed away before filing.  Answer "No".  (Note: if you had already answered "No" when getting rejected then try answering "Yes" to that question). 

If you know last year's 5-digit PINs try to refile but this time do not enter a prior year AGI for you or your spouse instead just use last year's 5 digit pin for each of you.  

NOTE:  Each time be sure to backspace/delete the AGI box to get rid of any stray entries/spaces.

If rejected again, then try the actual prior year AGI and the prior year 5-digit PIN (or any 5-digit PIN).

Next, if that is rejected use zero (0) for the prior year AGI and the prior year 5-digit PIN (or any 5-digit PIN).

Finally, if the rejection persists you will need to print/mail your returns.

Sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reject

Ir is a common problem that you can't eFile if one partner is deceased.

You just have to file a paper return by US Mail.

@bluetopaz89 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies