Refund

mbrownie83

Refund

I did my taxes with TurboTax and had to mail it in because I didn't have last year's information. I mailed it in early April. I don't even know whether they received it or not. I've tried to contact the IRS but I can't get past the automated messages. I'm running out of time and I'm not sure what to do. 

Texas Roger

Refund

As long as your tax return was postmarked before the filing deadline, there is no reason to worry about a late filing penalty.  If you are getting a refund, there is no filing deadline.

You can try using this procedure to phone the IRS but it is very difficult to get through.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Refund

There is no penalty for filing a tax return after the due date if you are receiving a tax refund.  Plus the postmark on the envelope shows the IRS that is was filed in a timely manner.

The IRS has not been processing paper tax returns for several months.  They have just started recently.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.